Friday, January 8, 2010

Beauty school? is it a waste of money? Can I get a good job in this career? how much did it cost you?

I'm thinking about going to beauty school, this way I can make more money and pay for my college education. I'm not sure if its a practical thing to do.Beauty school? is it a waste of money? Can I get a good job in this career? how much did it cost you?
This is a tough question. There is a perpetuated myth about our industry....That it's a good career to ';fall back on';.





Yes there is money to be made.





If you rent your station (not a good idea straight out of school) you can expect to work more then 60 hours a week and NOT make any money for quite some time. Upwards to 2 years. But the end result is money money money...all of it yours minus rent and supplies...You are reliant on that clientel and you will have to meet their demands on your schedule and hours or you will perish.





Commission yeilds the same results of having to work lots of hours with no reward for about the same 2 years. End result is 60%-70% of the money and less supplies out of pocket. Decent money and again clientel reliant...Meet the client need or no money and lose clients.





Then there is the hourly employee...You will get minimum wage or near minimum wage. You will have to work a strict schedule with nearly no weekends off. There is usually a goal oriented commission that you don't reach too often. It's set fairly high to prevent the majority from reaching it. The hours are designated so you won't be working 60+ to try to please clientel...Only immediate desk supplies are necessary and some places even provide all but the scissors.


They will hire you part time for a body to fill the space probably out of desperation...but they will resent your lack of hours when they really look at how to fit you in the schedule. Management is usually undereducated and bullyish, so you will find yourself having to complain about the schedule not fitting your college hours...You can see the vicious cycle right there..LoL





So here's the problem...If you Rent? No real money or time for school...Commission? Not enough money or time for school....Employee? Now you will have cash flow...but management will prevent you from going to school...I've seen it in every job I've held...People who go to school to do something OTHER then hairdressing get the short end of the stick...





Sorry this is so long..but I wanted to be as real as possible with you :):)Beauty school? is it a waste of money? Can I get a good job in this career? how much did it cost you?
Not True, I work as a massage therapist and a hairstylist to pay for college. I take all my classes online.?


I work 10 to 12 hours a week my massages are 75 to 85 dollars an hours if. If I do 2 massage a day at 75 dollars an hour that is 150.00 a day x 6 days a week, that is 900.00 a week. Report Abuse

You will have the other 18 hours to study, post and take your test online. I will done with school in November of 2009. It took me 15 months to receive my B.A. in Organizational Management with a minor in Psychology. I am 40 years old and single dad and I did it


you can do it. :-)Tim Report Abuse

No and school is like 1800 s semester
Well if you already good at it.....you should go to beauty school so you can do it legally. But if you want money for school get a job.
Sure is can be a good career, then you could even open up your own salon and work for yourself.


I'm sure that cost vary by region.
beauty is very complicated you could make somebody look ugly or pretty or beautiful.so if you can hook people up and make them look fly then go ahead and try.
  • zits
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment