Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Would you enter your little girl into a toddler beauty pageant?

I watched a TV commercial about one last night, and the children - although apparently happy - looked way too mature and trashy for being 3/4 years old. I for one, would never.Would you enter your little girl into a toddler beauty pageant?
Never.





You'd have to think about how let down they would feel if they didnt win.





Bonnie baby compettitions yes cause babies have no idea whats going in but to force a child to dress like an adult and then force her to perform is just horrible.Would you enter your little girl into a toddler beauty pageant?
Ha, I watched a programme about the same thing last night, ';Baby Beauty Queens'; or something (UK). Nope, I'd never do it. I think it's disgusting, and I can't understand what reasonable parent would want to put their young child into that world and that line of thinking. The programme last night... it was mainly older kids, the 6-9 sort of age range, but even so. The way they plastered on the makeup literally made me feel sick. Not to mention built up all their hopes, only for them to be dashed, and the poor kids to be left wondering why they're not pretty enough. It's just superficial and cruel - and almost always a case of the sad (usually ugly) mother trying to live her missed opportunities through her kids.
No, I wouldn't. I want my daughter to grow up with a healthy self-image. The world of beauty and fashion do not cater to this, in fact, they are to blame for a lot of misconceptions people have about how they should look. I would guess that growing up while parading around comparing oneself to others would not contribute to a healthy self-image.





Even skinny beautiful people often have poor self-images and never think they are good enough. Now add on a judges panel telling you that you are or aren't good enough, compared with the others. Even if the girl is one who always wins, she still will not have a positive self-image because it has been built on negative stereotypes.
I wouldn't.





Children at that age are easily persuaded. If they spend all day around glitter covered toddler's in lycra and frill's, that would be sending the wrong message.





I would rather that my little girl spent all day playing in the mud with friends than compete with all the stress of performing and looking better than all the other girls.


If she wants to do pageants when she's older, she can go ahead. But for now, she can stay at the playground with her friends.
Dear God no. Those children are horrendous monstrosities.





And I recall seeing the commercials for that, where they asked some 7-8 year old what she thinks of the competitions. To which she relied that she didn't care about them.





They are not events for the children, they are events for the parents, and it is disgraceful.
heck no, that's a terrible thing to do


my mother did that to me growing up and i hated it


i felt like i had to win and live up to an expectation


and plus when i look at my pictures from the pageants as an adult


it makes me want to shake my head


i remember feeling bad if i didn't win and feeling less pretty etc


beauty pageants don't boose confidence , if anything it lowers it


my daughter will never do pageants
idk, not while they were little, maybe 1 or 2, i used to be alot less open to it than i am now. but if they were older and expressed an interest in it, i'd consider it depending on cost. i'd never FORCE it on a child.
never. those kids grow up way too fast and do not have the chance to be kids. they are too young to worry about their looks, figures, and hair. that show toddlers and tiaras just shows how bad those mothers are.
Nope!!! Never!! No way in the fires of hell!!
noway I'd rather put her in ballerina or piano classes and have some real talents
never are you talking about toddlers and tiaras if you are i know what you mean.
no I think it is a terrible thing to do to a child they are children not TOYS
no, those kids look so creepy! that is just wrong...
I did in the past but in many ways I do regret it. We started out with the really laid back all natural pageants and DD loved it. We then started participating in one that claimed to be low key and at the local and state level it was. However the nationals were crazy. 3 yr old with wigs and false eyelashes, 6 yr old with false teeth to cover up their lost baby teeth etc.


If DD was still interested I would participate in the local pageants that are fund raisers for the Miss GA USA scholarships but that is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment